Sunday, August 17, 2008

I miss Georgia

I miss Georgia. The other day I heard a song that mentioned "the Georgia stars" and I got a little lump in my throat and some tears in my eyes. It's things like not being able to hear the Braves game on the radio, knowing that I can't have the Varsity without driving 6 and 1/2 hours, and constantly seeing people wearing UK blue and not fashionable red and black that is about to send me over the edge! I thing I even prefer orange over all this blue! A bulldog is really so much cooler than a wildcat…

Don't get me wrong, we are loving Wilmore. It's an incredible little town, but all the differences just highlight the fact that I am not in Georgia anymore. And if I am not in Georgia, I am not around you guys, my friends and family. Moving away is making me understand just how much all of you have meant to Brandie, the boys, and me. We miss you all so terribly much!

We are, however different it may be, getting adjusted to life in Kentucky. Sam and Jack started school this week and love it so far. Luke hasn’t missed a beat. He has moved from destroying everything in his path in Georgia to destroying everything in his path in Kentucky with remarkable ease! We have a nice playground and a creek right behind our house that the boys play in everyday. We live close enough to Sam’s school that he has started riding his bike rather than the bus. We have taken to biking everywhere, from the Asbury campus to the grocery store. John Cougar Mellencamp’s song “Small Town” is the perfect them song for around here. It really is a lot like living in Mayberry! And just so we don’t miss Dalton too much, there is a Mexican restaurant right downtown!

We certainly have a list of things we would love for everyone to be praying about. The first is that we really need jobs! Brandie is still looking, as am I, but nothing seems to be working out. We know God has something, but it is getting really hard to be patient! Please pray specifically that Brandie finds a job (soon) that is flexible, pays well, has full benefits for the entire family, that it brings her a sense of fulfillment, and that it allows her to use the gifts that God has placed in her. Pray that God gives me a job that works with my class schedule and that neither of our jobs rob our children of the time they need with us.

We also need prayers that we find a church! We are looking, but it is hard to find something that can come close to the body that we had in Dalton. To all of you Dalton EMC folks reading this, I hope that you realize just how lucky you are! What a wonderful Church you are. Keep striding forward, God is about to move through you guys like never before, I can feel it coming!

Also pray for my school. Classes start in two weeks. Pray for the boys that they find lifelong friends, that Brandie and I find fellowship and friendship with others, and that God brings us closer to Him and His plan for our lives!

We miss ALL of you. You have blessed our lives over the years more than any of you will ever know and you continue to bless us with your prayers, your phone calls, your e-mails, and your support of this adventure! Thanks for loving and caring for us. Any of you are welcome to come at anytime. The door to our house is usually unlocked, so just come on in. If we’re not home, grab a coke and relax. We’re probable out hangin’ with Andy and Barney in downtown Mayberry.

14 comments:

Nagel said...

Oh my, they don't know how lucky they are to have had the Fitzgerald family land in the middle of Mayberry, KY ! We miss you guys so much around the church. Seeing the boys running around the church, and your and Brandie's sweet faces taking everything in. I'm so glad you set up the blog. It will keep the connections fresh. We love you guys!

Cyndi Lou said...

We MISS you guys so VERY MUCH!! I am so excited that you set up a blog! I am looking forward to keeping up with you guys!

We love you and are praying for all 5 of you!!

We love you!!!

Cyndi

Cyndi Lou said...

It is me again... I was SO EXCITED to comment on your blog, that I didn't finish reading your post and now I have read the WHOLE post and well...

Oh, now I am crying.... SURPRISE!! We miss you all so much and "Mayberry" has NO IDEA how lucky they are to have you! We missed your morning greeting this morning terribly! Ken was sick and couldn't be there! Dalton EMC is not the same with the Fitzgeralds!

Again, we will PRAY and we KNOW that God will HONOR your sacrifices!

Love,

Cyndi

Cyndi Lou said...

Oh, 1 more thing... I LOVE your 'About Me' summary--- 'the hottest couple and all...'. You got it right man! LOL!

Brad and Shana said...

So very glad you set up a blog. It somehow helps us feel like you're home with us. Obviously, we miss you guys, and are praying for God's provision; but I know (as you do) that God has many great things in store for those who obey His calling!!

I'm sure Sam thinks it is the coolest thing ever to get to ride his bike to school!! I won't be telling Bryce, he'll be jealous!!

Thanks again for blogging and as I say to everyone, Welcome to Bloggyville. Post as often as you can, and post pictures!!

Blessings Fitzgeralds!!

Tamara Chastain said...

YEA! Y'all have a blog. Thanks so much for the family update. I will be pray for all of you. We miss y'all.

Nagel said...

Oh, and I know what you mean about all the Blue and white. Where's the red and black? We just returned from Tuscaloosa where people wear funny hounds tooth hats and elephants, and my my sweet UGA Bulldog Sara is now officially a resident of that foreign land. Since I'm a War Eagle Plainsman Tiger, I felt really weird amongst all that crimson. So hold your UGA ground, you number 1 preseason Dogs ! And yes, we will continue to pray for you all ! Love you !!!!

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Hurray for the Fitzgerald's!!! I'm so glad you guys decided to blog. I was wondering how we were all going to keep up with you guys.

Now Joey, there's a lot of money to be made in graphic design of blogs and webpages....hmmm....maybe that will be your next job.
I still think you need to invest in the airbrush equipment and set up shop on the lawn of one of those great institutions in the area...or maybe in front of the local rec. dept. I hear those personalized helments and equipment bags go for big bucks-not to mention personalizing all the sorority/fraternity goods.

I just asked some of the youth group if they had heard if Brandi had a job. We had our first official trip w/o you yesterday and you were missed. Ken has some kind of sinus/cold infection. He didn't even make it to church this morning. I guess he's already on the bad list with the new pastor...lol. Actually, I made him stay home. He spent yesterday in freezing river water and it just made him worse.
We'll keep praying that God provides for you guys in bigger ways than you can imagine.
Terri

jonesfamily said...

We are so happy that we can get updates! Wilmore is quite an experience. It's almost like a unreal little place! We are looking foward to coming to see you all and we are praying daily.

Tell the boys Abigail talks about coming up to the waterpark (even though it will probably be next summer....lol)!

Tim & Angela Fleming said...

Thank you soooo much for getting a blog. I told Brandie before yall left that she had to have a blog for us to keep up with you guys. We miss your sweet faces at church. And I know Katie misses yall a lot too. We will be praying for your job situtaions and other needs. Take care and remember to post regularly. WE LOVE YOU! The Flemings

Maddie said...

I think I might stand up and cheer! I am sooo glad you decided to join the blogging cult. :) Seriously, like Shana said, it makes it feel like you are with us. We miss you guys and continue to pray!!!

Kevin & Lacey Hammontree said...

SO glad to hear from you!! Kevin & I have wondered how you guys are doing. Hope to see you soon!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!!

Lacey H

Tammy Howard said...

Welcome to bloggerland Fitzgeralds.

How sweet it is to know we can keep up with you. It does make us all feel closer doesn't it?

It must be nice to live in Mayberry...I didn't know places like that still existed...what a great place to be.

Keep us updated and post pictures. We will continue to pray for all of your needs.

Love,

Tammy

Adam C. said...

It is good to see that everyone is doing well Joey. I haven't talked to you in a while, but I think about yall from time to time and it was great to see that Brandie found me on facebook. I wish you all well and hope that you find a good church home soon.
Adam Cooler
coolercorner.blogspot.com