Friday, August 22, 2008

I am employed

Here's the story....

I have searched for a job since April. I think I have sent out around a hundred resumes. For some reason people in management think it is no longer necessary to have correspondence with an applicant to say they are not interested or the position is filled. When you follow up with a phone call it is not returned. To those reading this and are employers take note. My ego and confidence has really taken a hit over the last few months. It's like the biggest emotional roller coaster to get excited about a job and never receive a call to interview.

Last week I began to reevaluate. I started to look out side the box and think about all my gifts. Two weeks ago Joey made up a flier for me to pass out to local business about my baking. I have felt a bit intimidated for some reason and have held off passing them out. (Also, our oven seems to burn most things on the bottom.)

Tuesday I was on my way to the board of education to turn in paper work for substitute teaching when I received a call to interview for a job at Head Start. I had that job just out of college and knew that I could do it. I just wasn't excited about it.

Wednesday I was on the search for a fly swatter. (My boys think we live outside and therefor don't think it necessary to close the door...ever.) As I am driving to our local dollar store I decide I would finaly take my flier to the coffee shop. As I had that revelation, I drove by the shop and saw a posting for a manager. So I think to myself I could to do that! After not finding a fly swatter I put Luke in the stroller and Jack follows me into the coffee shop. The owner was there (I think I may be older than him) and I said I am interested in the job. He asked if I have managed before. (My first thought was to say of course, I manage dirty diapers, a kitchen, a school for teaching children manners, I manage a multi phone system of my cell and home phones, well I could go on.) But I said no not really. He said o.k. and asked me to fill out an application. I stopped by later and dropped it off and included the flier Joey made and a list of relevant experience (waitress and other stuff). He called that night.

Thursday I have both interviews. Joey had to be gone so a very kind lady from Dalton (Brenda Jones) kept Jack and Luke for me while I interviewd at Head Start. I was so grateful! I was offered the job but was not excited about it at all. The next interview was for the coffee shop and I had to bring the kids with me because we had football practice right after. Don't worry, I was mother of the year and left them in the car (running of course) to watch a movie! I had them in sight at all times!

It was a great interview and he offered me the job! I am very excited. I will get to do a little baking (but he doesn't know what I am capable of yet!) We can totally work around Joey's classes so now we don't have to pay for childcare. To make things even better Joey has an interview Monday for a chaplain job at a hospital. It's part time but offers full benefits! Pray, Pray Pray!!!!

If anyone reading this has little faith I hope that we can be a testimony that God is good and faithful and sometimes He calls us to take a leap. We need to just jump in even if the water is frozen! The lord didn't sell our house but He provided renters, He took care of tuition, our car, our moving expenses, and we haven't gone hungry yet (we might have next month without this job!) It's so easy to let your own agenda get in the way of the Lord's work. God is good! We can honor Him by being obedient, by forgiving and forgetting, humility, faith, grace, finding joy in ALL things, letting go of bitterness, and running towards him all day.

Thanks to all who have lifted us up in your prayers. Thanks for the words of encouragement and thanks for loving us. I want to end with a stolen word from Keith Ferguson. He signed an e-mail to Joey recently with Blessings over your head. I love that. So....

Blessings over all your heads,
Brandie

11 comments:

Cyndi Lou said...

Brandie,

Praise the Lord for His goodness my dear friend! To Him be the glory!! That post was amazing, but one line stood out to me, well several lines did, but the one... 'running towards Him all day!' really spoke to my heart. I have been tired of running, but when you run towards Him, it puts all of the running in an entirely different light! :)

Thank you for the encouragement and praise the Lord that you are employed at a cool coffee shop! I can't wait to hear the stories of the cool people you will meet and of how AWESOMELY your baked goods will sell!! He has NO IDEA!! :)

Love you,

Cyndi

Cyndi Lou said...

Oh, one more thing... on my blog, you are referred to as....

'The Fabulous Fitzgerald's'!! I hope that is OK!

Love,

Cyndi

Brad and Shana said...

Many, many congratulations!!

I'm so glad and excited for you. It is awesome that you are pumped about it too.

Y'all are a great testimony to God's faithfulness. It helps to give my own faith a little boost!!

I just love hearing Praise reports about how our Daddy takes such good care of His Kids!!

The Wild World of Richmond said...

That is AWESOME with a captital "A". I asked Marisa if she had talked to you Wed. night at church. She let me know that you had a couple of interviews. God is so faithful. Sometimes, I don't think my problems are big enough to hand over to Him but YOU guys are a testimony that he's all about the details. He's got you exactly where you need to be. You are perfect for that job. I can so see you doing that...now if Joey starts airbrushing coffee mugs and stuff you guys are set...just kidding. I will be praying for his interview. I know how crazy it can be to be a Mom and have to worry about crazy stuff like unpaid medical bills. WE WANT BENEFITS. God's so got you guys covered. I have never doubted that all this stuff was in his timing. I'm just blessed that I've got to see it play out over the last six months.
Blessings over YOUR head, too!
Terri

Nagel said...

Wow ! So Cool ! They are very lucky to get you, Brandie. I love how you told the story, too. You guys were meant to blog. And Joey will be great as the chaplain. I hope he has a chance to use his artistic gifts somehow, too. We will keep you all in our prayers ! Pot luck at church on Sunday. We will miss your good cooking.
BOYH ( I work for Shaw and we make acronyms for everything. )
Zane

Maddie said...

So very happy for you!!!! That is one blessed little coffee shop! They don't know yet what a treasure they have found...but they will soon!!!

Tammy Howard said...

That is exciting stuff guys! Don't ever doubt that God will show up right on time.

Give us a picture of the coffee shop once you get started...so we can see where you work. How lucky that guy is...he just doesn't know it yet. Wait till he gets to taste your baking....wow oh wow...that is good stuff.

I'm so happy for you. Love the line about leaving he boys in the car....with it running...how funny.

We are praying that Joey gets the job on Monday. No matter what we can see God has his hand on you guys!

Blessings on and over your head!!!

Tammy

Tim & Angela Fleming said...

Katie is laughing at me 'cause tears are running down my face. I am so happy for you guys. GOD is so faithful!!! He always takes care of us!!! I can't wait to hear more about the coffee shop. Everybody is right, you will blow them away with your cooking. Let me know when your going to make that Chocolate Mint Cake and I might just drive up.

Good Luck Joey on your interview!

Love and miss you guys,
Angela

Tamara Chastain said...

YEA! God is so FAITHFUL and I am so happy for you.

Brad and Shana said...

I'll be praying for Joey's interview tomorrow.....be sure to keep us posted, we're all addicted!

Miss you guys
Shana

Cyndi Lou said...

I am praying for Joey's interview today! Praying for God to bring the words to his mouth and the words 'You're HIRED with benefits!' to the words of the interviewer's mouth.

Many prayers are headed your way today!

BOYH,

Cyndi (loved the acronym from Zane so I had to use it!)